- The Industrial Production Index in the manufacturing, mining and quarrying branches recorded in the months of November 2016-January 2017 an increase of 9.3%, which derives from a sharp rise in the branches of the mixed technology and elite technology.
- The labor market in Israel continues to demonstrate strength, when there were no changes in February’s unemployment rate, which remained at 4.3%.
- The total export of services in the month of January 2017 rose by 2.1% and amounted to 3.3 billion dollars. The sharpest rise was recorded by the export of business services, which are about two thirds of all of the exported services.
- The combined index regarding the situation of the market rose in the month of February by 0.3%. This rise derives from the increase in the import of the consumer products and the inputs in the month of February and from an increase in the revenue indices of commerce and services in January.
- According to the data of the Bank of Israel, the foreign currency reserves of Israel amounted at the end of the year 2016 to 98.4 a billion dollars, which is an increase of 8 billion dollars during the year. The main cause for this increase is the purchases in the amount of 6 billion dollars.
- According to the weekly summation, the Tel-Aviv 125 Index dropped by 0.50%.
The United States
- The uncertainty regarding the exercise of the fiscal plans of the Trump’s administration increased due to the failure to cancel the Obama Care Law, which may increase the volatility in the markets.
- The American accommodation market continues to show strength, when the index of selling new houses rose to an annual pace of 592 thousand houses compared to 558 thousand houses in the previous month. In contrast, the index of selling existing houses has shown a moderate slowdown at a rate of 3.7% down to an annual pace of 5.48 million houses compared to 5.69 million houses in the previous month.
- The Durable Goods Index has shown a moderate slowdown when it rose by 1.7% compared to 2.3% in the previous month. This positive index shows that an increase in the demand will encourage the manufacturers to increase the production, which will increase the economic activity.
- The Purchasing Managers Indices in the manufacturing sector and in the service sector showed a moderate slowdown down to the levels of 53.4 and 52.9 respectively. However, these indices still stayed at a high level above 50 points, which shows an expectation to a financial expansion.
- According to the weekly summation the S&P 500 dropped by 1.44%
- The president of the European Commission said the Britain will have to pay a fine of 50 billion pounds for leaving the EU.
- The Purchasing Managers Indices in the manufacturing sector and in the service sector in the Eurozone surprised for the better when they rose above the predictions to the levels of 56.2 and 56.5 respectively. These are the highest levels since the middle of the year 2011.
- The Consumer Price Index (in annual terms) in Britain rose above the predictions by a rate of 2.3% compared to 1.8%, which was the highest level since the end of the year 2013.
- The Purchasing Managers Index in the manufacturing sector in Germany continues to point to an expectation of an economic expansion, when it rose much above the predictions in the market to a level of 58.3 compared to 56.8 in the previous month. This is the highest level since the middle of the year 2011.
- According to the weekly summation, the EuroStoxx 50 Index rose by 0.02%.
Asia and the Emerging Markets
- Japan’s export index surprised for the better when it rose by 11.3% compared to 1.3% in the previous month. This is the highest rate since the beginning of the year 2015. In addition, the commercial balance, which measures the difference between the import values and export values of commodities and services, rose to a level of 813 billion compared to -1,078 billion in the previous month. This shows that more commodities and services were exported than imported.
- The Baker report, which reviews the number of rigs that are active, and is used as an important indicator in the American supply market, continues to show an improvement, when the number of active rigs rose to 652 compared to 631 in the previous week.
- The inventory of crude oil that checks the change in the number of crude oil barrels that are in the inventory of the commercial American companies, rose to a seasonally adjusted level of 4.95M compared to -0.23M in the previous week.
- According to the weekly summation, the price of the Brent oil dropped by 1.39% and locked at a level of 51.02$ per barrel.
- Allocate 45%-50% of your money to a course of investment that is linked to the Consumer Price Index, and 50%-55% to a course of investment that is in NIS. If you invest in bonds that are linked to the Consumer Price Index, then it is preferable to invest in those bonds with a shorter average duration due to the low expectations of inflation that are embodied in these bonds.
- An exposure to shares at a level of 90%-95% of the policy.
- The average duration in the bond portfolio needs to be 3.5-4 years.
Sigma Investment House Ltd. and/or the companies that are related to it (hereinafter: “the Sigma Group”) engages by itself and/or via related companies in activities in the capital market, and therefore it is a corporation that is related to the following financial institutions and/or marketers (hereinafter: “the Related Bodies”), and as such, it, inter alia has an affinity to financial assets that are issued and/or managed and/or marketed by them: Sigma Mutual Funds Ltd., Sigma Financial Planning A Pension Insurance Agency (2011) Ltd., Sigma Premium Ltd., and it is related to Sigma Portfolio Management. This document, including the review, the information, the data, the notices, the analyses, the estimates, the opinions, the forecasts, the text and/or the pictures that are published in the it (hereinafter: “the Information” or “Review” as applicable) are provided as a service to the readers. This Review is only an opinion that its purpose is to bring general information that is based on what is known at the day the explicit or implicit review was published and/or on other sources of information that are deemed by the writers of this review as trustworthy, but the Information was not verified in an independent way by the editors of the Review, and therefore you can’t guarantee the accuracy of the details that were included in this Information and/or their completeness, and you also can’t oblige that this Information doesn’t include mistakes or errors. Therefore, you need to deem what is written here appropriately, and it is of course subject to the changes that occurred since the time this Review was prepared, and under no circumstances is this Information a substitute to the data that appears in the IPO prospectuses of the relevant assets and/or in any kind of report that pertains to them. Without derogating from the generality of the aforesaid, the Information and/or status of the market and/or analyses may change, and you shouldn’t’ deem the Information and/or Review as complete or exhaustive, and as if it inter alia pertains to all of the aspects regarding the securities and/or general and/or specific financial assets that are explicitly and/or implicitly and/or by way of referral mentioned in it. In addition, you shouldn’t deem this Information as a recommendation or substitute to the reader’s discretion, or as an offer, an invitation to receive offers, or as the marketing of investments. This will apply whether generally, and whether taking into consideration the special data and needs of each reader regarding the purchase and/or execution of investments and/or actions and/or any transaction. In addition, you shouldn’t deem this information as advisement regarding the worthiness of the investment, and/or as an offer or solicitation, whether directly or indirectly, including in regards to the purchase of participation units of the mutual funds that are managed by the fund manager from the Sigma Group, whether this is done via the consultation with external advisors, inter alia a qualified financial advisor and a tax advisor. Without derogating from the aforesaid, and in order to clear any doubt, the assets that are mentioned in the Review may not fit the reader of the Review, and it is hereby emphasized that this Review doesn’t take into consideration the purpose of the investment, the financial status and the unique needs of each investor. The Sigma Group isn’t obliged to inform the readers in any way, whether in advance or eventually, on changes and/or updates in the Information and/or Review. The Sigma Group will not be liable for any direct or circumstantial damage or loss, which may be caused due to reliance on the information, and it doesn’t oblige that using this Information may generate profits for the reader to the user. The Sigma Group and/or its controlling shareholders and/or any of its stakeholders and/or anyone on behalf of all of the aforesaid may from time to time, according to the limitations of the law, hold, sell, purchase and be interested in Information and/or trading that is related to the securities and/or assets, including the financial assets that are directly or indirectly mentioned in this document. All of these actions may be executed by the aforesaid for themselves and/or for their clients and/or in any other way. In addition, the Sigma Group may directly or indirectly enter into transactions and/or provide services to companies that are mentioned in the Information, or to companies that are related to them. You may not use this Review without the explicit permission in writing from the Sigma Group, and it is only intended to whomever received it from the Sigma Group